I spent most of last night and this morning rewriting the jimthompson.org theme, which I now call Rhapsody in Blue. The first time I wrote the theme, I did it in an inelegant and crude manner; in particular, I made poor use of the CSS selectors already built into WordPress. In fact, I couldn’t figure out how to select some of the elements, and made hacks to the WordPress source code so I could directly select some elements. Clumsy.
After spending some time getting to know CSS better, and in particular getting to know WordPress’s use of CSS classes and identifiers, I decided I could rewrite my theme without having to touch the WordPress source code. At the same time, I took advantage of the down time to upgrade my installation of WordPress, which had undergone a minor bug-fix release since I first installed it in April.
One of the side effects of rewriting the theme is that I know have more consistent style across the different pages in the site. I also tweaked the style in a few places – minor changes I think look better. The front page is nearly identical to the original version of the theme; the new tweaks are most evident on the archive pages.
Now that I have a theme that’s more “in tune” with generic WordPress, I have released the theme for anyone to use. The download includes the PhotoShop files necessary to generate new header graphics. Download the theme files from my Rhapsody in Blue page.