1. Ban the DH in major and minor league baseball. Don’t give me excuses – real pitchers hit for themselves.
2. Ditch the possession arrow in NCAA basketball and bring back the jump ball.
3. Learn something from hockey and add the penalty box to college and NFL football. If you commit a penalty you sit out one, two, or three snaps – depending on severity – and your team plays shorthanded.
4. Take away the home-run line, ground-rule doubles, and the like in baseball. If the outfielder can get to the ball, then it’s still in play. That includes going up into the stands to take the ball away from fans. If the ball hits the foul pole, but the outfielder can still catch it, it’s an out!
5. Ban cheerleaders, dance teams, costumed mascots, and all that fluff (does anybody really miss Chief Noc-a-Homa?) Bands, however, should be required; NFL teams should have marching bands and NBA teams should have pep bands. And no piped-in music. If you can’t hear your band, get a bigger band.